When chewing gum you increase the saliva flow in your mouth and that increase in flow helps wash away the acids produced when food is broken down by the bacteria on your teeth. Acid breaks down tooth enamel, thus giving a perfect condition for tooth decay so by choosing the right sugarless gum and chewing for 20 minutes you can help prevent that decay. Look for the following sugar-free gums have the ADA Seal and have been shown to meet the criteria for effectiveness and safety:
- Wrigley’s Extra Sugarfree Gum
- Wrigley’s 5 Sugarfree Gum
- Wrigley’s Orbit for Kids Sugarfree Gum
- Wrigley’s Orbit Sugarfree Gum
- Dentyne Ice Sugarless Gum
- Wrigley’s Eclipse Sugarfree Gum
- ICE BREAKERS ICE CUBES Sugar Free Chewing Gum
- Stride Sugarless Gum
- Trident Sugarless Gum
Some of the benefits of chewing sugarless gum:
- Cavity Prevention. Sugarfree gum contains ingredients such as Xylitol that help decrease the bacteria in the mouth and prevent cavities. Remember to chew for 20 minutes after meals!
- Strengthens Enamel. Chewing gum prevents enamel erosion by supplying minerals to your teeth and promoting a healthy tooth environment.
Freshens Breath. Chewing sugarless gum kills the stinky bacteria that the breakdown of food and drink leaves behind.
Remember chewing gum will never replace brushing and flossing! The ADA recommends brushing twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste and flossing between your teeth once a day. As an on the go solution though, chewing a sugarless gum with the ADA Seal is a great option for your dental health!
For more information on dental health or to schedule an appointment today, call My Plantation Dentist at 954-584-1030.